Medical News, Journals & Upcoming Events
- Delayed Targeted Intraoperative Radiotherapy vs Whole-Breast External Beam Radiotherapy for Early Breast Cancer July 9, 2020This secondary analysis of the TARGIT-A randomized clinical trial compares the effect of delayed second-procedure targeted intraoperative radiotherapy (TARGIT-IORT) with whole-breast external beam radiotherapy (ERBT) on local recurrence at 5 years and long-term survival outcomes among women with early breast cancer.
- Erlotinib in Elderly or Frail Patients With EGFR Mutation–Positive Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer July 9, 2020This single-arm, multicenter phase 2 trial investigates the efficacy and safety of low-dose erlotinib in elderly or frail patients with EGFR mutation–positive non–small cell lung cancer.
- Association of Mandatory Access Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs With Opiod Prescription Prevelence Among Medicare Patients July 1, 2020This cohort study examines the association between prescription drug monitoring program mandates with and without a cancer exemption and the percent of oncologists’ patients with any opioid prescription covered by Medicare Part D.
- Managing Cancer Pain During the Opioid Epidemic—Balancing Caution and Compassion July 1, 2020Opioid prescribing patterns have come under increased scrutiny in the setting of the ongoing opioid epidemic as rates of opioid prescription, overdose, and mortality have risen in the United States. The opioid epidemic has appropriately led to new guidelines, regulations, and policies that attempt to curtail the inappropriate use of opioids in clinical practice. However, […]
To gain receive information about upcoming events and the latest CE Activities, join our newtork.
- Compression Therapy to Prevent Recurrent Cellulitis of the Leg August 13, 2020Cellulitis is a common bacterial infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue that occurs mostly in the legs and is associated with health care costs and adverse health outcomes. Recurrence of cellulitis is common: up to 47% of patients have a recurrent episode within 3 years. Penicillin…
- The Conversations We’ve Been Having August 13, 2020Recently, I’ve been inundated with text messages from well-meaning friends and acquaintances checking on how I’m doing. The merciless killing of George Floyd triggered nationwide protests against the racial injustice that has plagued the United States since its inception. Antiracist information,…
- Caught in a Flare August 13, 2020A 24-year-old woman presented to her primary care doctor with a 1-month history of worsening fatigue, diffuse arthralgias, a rash on her face and arms, and swelling in her legs. She also reported frequent urination. . . .
- Umbilical Cord Knot August 13, 2020Figure 1.
- Oral Metastasis of Colorectal Cancer August 13, 2020Figure 1.
- PRIME Time in Rheumatoid Arthritis July 16, 2020Rheumatoid arthritis, like many autoimmune diseases, has a course characterized by intermittent flares, yet our understanding of the mechanisms underlying flares remains limited. In an article published in this issue of the Journal, Orange and colleagues describe a study in which serial fingerstick…
- RNA Identification of PRIME Cells Predicting Rheumatoid Arthritis Flares July 16, 2020Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms are highly dynamic, with periods of stability interrupted by unpredictable flares of disease activity. Such waxing and waning clinical courses are characteristic of many autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and inflammatory…
- Degenerative Cervical Spondylosis July 9, 2020Degenerative cervical spondylosis is a chronic, progressive deterioration of osseocartilaginous components of the cervical spine that is most often related to aging. Radiographic evidence of degeneration of the cervical spine occurs in virtually all persons as they age; however, not all persons…
- Tongue Ulceration from Cytomegalovirus Infection July 2, 2020Figure 1.